Home

Friday, August 13, 2010

David and Goliath Review




Book: David and Goliath
Author: Bryan Hathaway
Publisher: WinePress Publishing
ISBN: 978-1-60615-015-3
Genre: Religious Fiction










I recently received David and Goliath by Bryan Hathaway. This book was definitely not what I expected. I am not sure what I expected, but this fell far from the tree. If you were addicted to Touched by an Angel, then this book is for you. For the rest of us, the stories were short and sweet and corny and theologically incorrect. I suppose after realizing that this book is not targeted as "Christian" but rather religious, I have a little bit more grace. However, it follows the Christian beliefs so closely that the few errors really caused me to pause and I think could truly lead someone astray. Because of this, I strongly disagree with this book not because of its stories or the way it was written but rather its entire philosophy.

The Storyline: The story is about David Liberty, an old man who is unable to move or speak. His body has failed him and he just wants to die in peace. When an angel, Joelle, comes to see him and offers him a second chance at salvation, David takes her up on her offer. He is put into a coma in his old body and awakens in a new one where he has a mission to help various people along the way.


What I liked about this book: I did enjoy the stories. It was well written and interesting. One of those inspirational pick-me-ups that leaves you with a good feeling after it is all said and done.

What I didn't like about this book: The first thing that threw me off in the book was the general idea behind David's "commission" if you will. David followed God and yet he made some mistakes in his life. He divorced his wife and slowly cut himself off from his family in depression and disappointment. Joelle tells him that he has failed God, however God is willing to give him one more chance to gain his salvation. The whole theology behind this is wrong, wrong, wrong. There is nothing we can do to earn our salvation. And although David argues this point, Joelle tells him not to question God's ways. The second issue of contention for me is on page 196, "Scripture also tells us that if two of you agree about anything for which you pray, it shall be granted by God." This is completely incorrect. Scripture tells us that if two or more of us gather in His name He will be there with us, not grant us our wishes like a genie. Basically, the whole philosophy of the book is that through doing things we can gain our salvation, that faith without works is dead. Which I understand to a point, I mean, it is in the bible. But works alone cannot GAIN salvation or redemption.

Who this book is good for: As I said before, if you enjoy inspirational stories, you might enjoy this book. However I am hesitant to suggest it to anyone as I believe it could really confuse someone in their faith or in their ideas about Christianity. Therefore, I will not be putting a link to purchase this book as I feel very strongly about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment