Home

Monday, October 4, 2010

In Every Heartbeat by Kim Vogel Sawyer Review

I just put down the book In Every Heartbeat by Kim Vogel Sawyer. Upon reading the last words, I was filled with a sense of satisfaction and contentment. The book ended so well, neatly wrapping up all, or nearly all, of the conflict and questions that arose throughout the novel. As a romantic story, I would say that the book was highly successful in giving the reader a sense of adventure and wonder and staying away from the typical. This was a story that I hadn't heard before, and was content to follow the many different paths it took.

That being said, I have a few critiques. First and foremost, I believe that a title should say something about the book and I definitely would not associate this title with the storyline. I felt that it was a halfhearted stab instead of a well thought out summary of the storyline. To be honest, it had little to do with the actual story, at least that I can see. Secondly, it was not an easy book to get into. The story follows the lives of three different friends. It often changes perspectives and although this gives the book added depth as you get into it, it is harder to fully be drawn in as you are trying to relate to three characters instead of one. There was so much background information on all of the characters, I felt that Sawyer would have done better to write a story before that on Bennett, Petey, and Libby's growing up years in the orphanage rather then having to backtrack for the first half of the book. 

Nevertheless, once I got into the story, I loved it! The characters were unconventional, something I often crave from the books I read. I would highly recommend this book as a gift, or a part of your permanent library. And I will be looking for more books written by Sawyer in the future. Her writing style and imagination will keep me going back for more :)

For more information on the book In Every Heartbeat, or to purchase your favorite Christian fiction, check out DeeperShopping.com

**Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, IncAvailable at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment