Home

Friday, April 23, 2010

Review: Can You Hear Me?

Can You Hear Me? Tuning in to the God who speaks by Brad Jersak is a book about hearing the voice of God in your everyday life. The book is divided into three parts:

Part I       The Simplicity of Listening Prayer
including "My Sheep Hear My Voice", Awakened hearts: how we hear and see God, God is that really you? Or was that just my imagination?

Part II      Encountering God: The Meeting Place of Your Heart
Including the meeting place, meeting God to intercede, and overcoming blocks to meeting God.

Part III    The Life of Listening Prayer
including listening prayer in decision times, with children, in the local church, outreach and prayer for inner healing.

In his introduction, Brad states that this book is written for anyone who wants to hear God's voice. But he has a special heart for disillusioned churchgoers and "prodigals" who are searching for more than western church culture generally offers.

The power of prayer is awesome and wonderful, Brad suggests that perhaps there is more to prayer than just talking. Perhaps listening to God is a huge section of prayer that we have forsaken. Maybe, just maybe, we have forgotten how to hear God's voice. Throughout the book, Brad injects a wonderful section called "Tuning in" here he asks you to put his words into practise. Ask God questions and listen for His answer.

I loved this book! Full of practical advice and tools to get you going in the right direction, this book is perfect for anyone who is feeling like their relationship with God is missing that vital spark. It is! Communication! You may not agree with everything in this book, I didn't. But I was able to look to the heart of it and appreciate that there is more to prayer than simply listing of a to-do list.

For more information on Can You Hear Me or to purchase your favourite Christian books, check out DeeperShopping.com

1 comment:

  1. Becca, I'm in awe at how many books & reviews you are able to do with 3 little ones! I'm loving reading them...and keep adding to my list of books to order from the library...keep it up:) When I saw this one, I immediately thought of a book that I have yet to finish (not because I don't like it...I just hardly ever read). It's called "The Papa Prayer". My mom started it with us in a group for young moms...she wasn't able to continue the next year & I haven't been able to finish it...but I've never forgotten what I learned from it. I would highly recommend it:)

    ReplyDelete