Home

Friday, April 23, 2010

Review: The Daily Message

The Daily Message by Eugene H. Peterson is an easy-to-use "read through the Bible in a year". It is the entire Message Bible arranged in 312 daily readings. Each day has about 3-4 chapters of a book of the Bible followed by an encouraging reading from Psalms, Proverbs, or Isaiah. It also has the added bonus of including a couple of personal questions to help apply the reading to your life.

I like this "Through the Bible in a year" format simply because it is far too easy to get behind. You lose a day, you try to catch up, but you can't. In those formats I feel as though there is no point. If I can't do it right, why do it at all? The Daily Message has only 6 readings a week, giving you a day to either rest and reflect or catch up on what you have missed.

The Message is not necessarily a study Bible. It is the Bible in easy-to-understand language. However, it is a great read first thing in the morning. It makes you think, it makes the Bible more real, alive and easy to understand and apply to your day. Because of this, I am a fan. I still prefer to do my daily devotions in my NIV study Bible, but use this for a reader book when I am feeling motivated. It is great to compare notes with and relatively inexpensive.

For more information on The Daily Message or to purchase your favourite Christian books, check out DeeperShopping.com

No comments:

Post a Comment